Special thanks to our editors Joys and AmberSun, and BriefKandle and origugua for their help.
Editor’s note: Although this article is an analysis of GameFi’s development prospects from the perspective of game types, it also has a high learning value for the majority of GameFi players. Different game types have different difficulty of GameFi, and the size of their audience market is also different. Through the combing of this article, it can provide a more scientific reference for the majority of users when choosing games.
Although GameFi has been defined in the market as the blockchainization of games, this logic is actually ambiguous. If the popular NFTFi and SocialFi are regarded as a combination of simple elements, namely NFT+DeFi and Social+DeFi, then GameFi should also be correctly regarded as a combination of Game and DeFi.
GameFi is not the blockchainization of traditional games, but its essence is very different from games. Traditional games make game experience the first priority of game development, as well as the profitability of the development team.GameFi’s top priority is to encourage Play to Earn behavior and allow users to earn substantial earnings in return. The difference in core demands makes the difference between GameFi and traditional games more obvious, although there are overlaps in development ideas and operational logic.
In traditional games, there are different classifications of game types: MMORPG, SLG, RTS, etc., all of which have different successful works. But the same type of game, in GameFi, is likely to appear unexpectedly fresh due to changes in the environment and purpose.
Traditional Gaming and GameFi
In the game industry, there is a special term: Game Feel, which is used to describe the first feeling that the game brings to the player’s experience. Regardless of the type of game design and target audience. If the “game feel” is bad, the player will not continue to experience it.
Some people might think that complex or esoteric games have a good “game feel”, but that’s not the case. Not all types of games require complex mechanics.
Different game types have different design patterns and different user groups.
At present, in the traditional game field, the main games are divided into the following categories:
- RPG (Role-playing games): Role-playing games usually have a full storyline, where players can put aside their identity and play certain roles in the game for some alternative satisfaction. This requires building a game world with complex logic and complete self-consistency, as well as a game environment full of freedom. RPGs can be subdivided into strategic role-playing games (SRPG – Simulation Role Personate Game) and action role-playing games (ARPG – Action Role Playing Game) according to the way the battle is played. action role-playing game).
- MMORPG: The role-playing category is the most popular, and heavy games are still the main source of money; however, the threshold for game development and operation is relatively high, and most mainstream products come from big manufacturers.
- MOBA: The genre is on the rise due to its fast pace, but due to high-intensity interactions and longer game durations (20 to 40 minutes), only a few products currently occupy a high position in the gaming market.
- FPS (First Person Shooter): FPS games are a type of game based on 3D technology. The most important feature is the change of the player’s perspective. As a medium for players to interact with the game world, the screen allows players to immerse themselves in the scene and bring strong emotions. visual impact.
- SIM (Simulation): SIM games are divided into RTS (Real-Time Strategy) real-time strategy games and SLG (Simulation Game) strategic wargames. Typical representatives of the former include “StarCraft” and “Age of Empires”, while the representative works of the latter include “Total War” and “Civilization” series.
- The popularity of card SLG is gradually popular: card SLG is widely welcomed by users and has a low development cost. It has also become the preferred choice for many studios and project teams. At present, card SLG is also a category with double growth in the number and revenue of the US mobile game market (card games accounted for about 5.3% of the top 100 head games in 2019, and about 6% in 2020) and in the past two years in Japan. The game market maintains a market share of more than 20%.
The above types can be said to be more comprehensive coverage of the traditional game types currently on the market.
Strictly speaking, GameFi, which also has game attributes, should also develop comprehensively in various game fields. There should be one or two phenomenal games in each type of game, but what we see now is that in GameFi, more Most of them are based on training, sandboxes, cards, and business strategies. There are also attempts at types of games such as action shooting and sports racing, but the DAU (number of daily activities) is not satisfactory.
Different types of games are GameFi-based, with different levels of difficulty
Traditional games look at retention, that is, game publishers pay more attention to the user’s game experience, and have been committed to improving user experience to maintain more user retention and cultivate users’ payment habits.
In fact, for GameFi’s game development team: the core logic is to provide early profit-making effects (time realization), and then bind a larger community of interests, a larger narrative, and redistribute the interests of the traditional game industry chain, etc. Here On the basis of maintaining the stability of the ecological value in the system.
Unlike traditional games, GameFi games have three major requirements:
- An unavoidable economic model;
- inner financial core;
- Users whose priority is profit;
Regarding GameFi, it can be divided into the following four types
- Native GameFi games: Decentralized finance with NFT assets through DeFi borrowers to achieve the effect of “mining” like income. Most of these games are card games, and the secondary market is relatively prosperous. The top GameFi games have a complete ecosystem and a huge user base.
- Real Financial Mapping GameFi: This GameFi game maps the real financial system to the blockchain industry. GameFi plays the role of a centralized bank. In this chain game, players can experience all financial methods in traditional financial markets such as stocks, etc. Funds, futures, etc.
- GameFi that focuses on game experience: This type of chain game focuses on immersion, aggravates game attributes, and takes into account the in-game digital asset ecology, making the game interesting and generating game digital assets similar to mainstream digital assets.
- Virtual mapping of real behavior: eg Stpen, Letmespeak, etc. Games like this give gold farming real behavior by combining it with real behavior.
Three main characteristics of GameFi lead to the deviation of GameFi games from traditional games in development:
The gold-rushing nature of GameFi has led to a natural preference for low-complexity interactions and a natural rejection of high-complexity trading game types like action shooters and competitions, as well as dimensional outcome theory games like MOBAs.
On the other hand: the success of Axie has led many teams to imitate based on their existing experience, which is costly for trial and error
In fact, in the process of evolution, after the user behavior (User Behavior) is educated by Axie, the entry threshold for card game gold is lower.
We can’t say that other types of games are not suitable for games, but there is no game that can take both gold and playability into consideration.
GameFi represents a decades-long shift in the value paradigm from game officials to players. Starting with pay-to-play (P2P), users will pay to play games created by game studios. The root of this value shift lies in GameFi’s inherent economic model structure.
The problem of transitioning traditional games to GameFi
Although from chess to 4X strategy, from traditional RPG board games to AAA open worlds, gaming has never been pure entertainment, but a platform for players to compete for limited resources. Therefore, game currency with circulation value and use value plays a crucial role in the user retention and business cycle of the game.
But it has never quantified and bound the user’s power and interests with Token like GameFi. In fact, since Axie became popular, almost all traditional game companies have studied Axie, but no one dared to do it. On the one hand, this involves issuing coins, and game giants are naturally opposed because it is still in a gray area on a global scale.
On the other hand: the transition from traditional games to GameFi is not just a simple economic model implantation, but more of a value conversion. GameFi essentially uses coins to solve all previous game middlemen. The more you play the game, the more you become a stakeholder in the game. Gamers are no longer players, but investors. The increase of intermediate elements from game teams to intermediate users and guilds also makes game developers worry about losing control of the game.
AC Capital once proposed a term called: Guild overflow, which refers to a game that welcomes Guild in the early stage (bringing liquidity) and goes to Guild in the late stage (digging McTee to destroy the stability of the ecological economy in the game).
A GameFi game will parasitize many guilds. This effect will not be viciously manifested in the early stage of the game, and may even be beneficial to the development of the game ecology to a certain extent. The game ecology and the number of guilds are kept in balance.
Can traditional game teams cross this psychological threshold? This is something to consider.
Traditional gaming and GameFi may meet in the Metaverse
There is currently a lot of debate on the market as to whether a game should be P2F (Play to Fun) or P2E (Play to Earn), which is one of GameFi’s biggest highlights.
In fact, the most important issue for GameFi is the sustainability of its economic cycle rather than strengthening one of its Fun or Earn attributes. The different attributes of GameFi can be reflected by different game types, and the playability can be gradually improved by issuing different games, but the underlying economic model of the same token is still common.As long as a GameFi token economic model can operate effectively, its Fun and Earn properties can be implemented together by 4 to 5 games. That’s what the Axie team is currently doing.
How to ensure the sustainability of the economic model?
On the one hand, it’s attracting new players, which means GameFi needs to lower the barriers to entry even further.
At present, new players know more about GameFi based on white papers and materials, and they often need to pay to play games. Free-to-play single-player mode is becoming a trend.
On the other hand, embrace the Metaverse.
As a subset of the Metaverse ecology, games are also an important way to generate and transfer ownership of Metaverse assets, and will also assume important responsibility for the operation of the underlying Metaverse ecology.
Posted by:CoinYuppie，Reprinted with attribution to:https://coinyuppie.com/what-kind-of-games-are-best-for-gamefi/
Coinyuppie is an open information publishing platform, all information provided is not related to the views and positions of coinyuppie, and does not constitute any investment and financial advice. Users are expected to carefully screen and prevent risks.