Slow Fog Cosine: It doesn’t matter whether the PolyNetwork hacker is located or not, it’s just the end of the phased war
At 8:38 pm on August 10, the cross-chain protocol Poly Network was attacked by hackers, and a total of more than US$610 million in encrypted assets were transferred to 3 addresses. The huge amount of stolen funds made it the largest hacking incident in DeFi history.
All parties in the crypto community, such as security companies represented by SlowMist, encrypted KOLs represented by Shenyu, and centralized exchanges represented by Hufu, have begun to work closely together.
After 52 hours of tracking and negotiation, staged results were achieved on the evening of August 12, 2021. The attacker has returned Poly Network’s assets of 580 million U.S. dollars, of which 230 million U.S. dollars of assets were signed in 3/4 of the parties, and another 33.43 million USDT Frozen by Tether. Shenyu referred to the Poly Network attackers as “white hat hackers,” and also stated that it would build a memorial about the Poly Network incident in Cryptovoxels. It would like to thank all participants and promote the safe development of the entire industry.
At 10:49 am on August 13, the founder of SlowMist Technology, one of the core powers of tracking hackers, posted a post on Moments of friends, summarizing the security incident briefly.
Cosine said that after the incident, SlowMist quickly combined with accessible global resources to draw a portrait of the hacker, conduct vulnerability analysis overnight, and work closely with the project team to confirm. A variety of possible behavior analyses on the chain have been done in conjunction with the resources of all parties. At the same time, he worked with Shenyu and the project party for two days of hacker communication, and eventually returned almost all the stolen funds.
As for whether a hacker has been located in the end? Cosine said that this is not important anymore. It’s like playing cards. The cards have already appeared on the poker table. What cards are in your hand and why should they be revealed? Just look at the results. Hackers can, have the strength, and have the desire to express, then it doesn’t matter who he is.
He also said that everything is not over yet, this is just the end of a phased war. Look far, this world needs to evolve.
This is the Nth time that Slow Mist has used great power, which also makes many friends know that Slow Mist is capable of doing this. But I’m sorry, this kind of ability is too consuming, the cost is also very high, and there is a lot of luck. What did Slow Mist do in this process? Let me reveal briefly:
1. Quickly cooperate with the global resources available in SlowMist to draw the roughest hacker portrait. I would like to thank Xiahufu, Xiong Yue and Bibox. You may not know the great value of this information. Although the hackers say they are all fake, this is not Nonsense? In the history of a major hacker operation, the identity was not used in disguise, but why were they arrested?
2. Do vulnerability analysis overnight, and work closely with the project team to confirm. If you don’t even know where the problem is, then you can’t know the opponent’s starting point.
3. Joint resources of all parties have done various possible behavior analysis on the chain, and found, but it is not direct enough, temporarily put it down.
4. The hacker communication work with Shenyu and the project team lasted for two days. This was the most exciting link. The hacker had a desire to express, which was good, and eventually returned almost all the stolen funds.
5. So does SlowMist locate a hacker? Sorry, this is not important anymore. It’s like playing cards. The cards have already appeared on the poker table. What cards are in your hand and why should they be revealed? Just look at the results. Hackers can, have the strength, and have the desire to express, then it doesn’t matter who he is. He chose a smart approach, thank him for this.
6. Slow fog is amazing? No, we are just in awe of all forces and we have relevant experience. We are also very tired, which consumes a lot of our energy, we can not save all other incidents.
7. Are security audits useful? Is not this nonsensical? How can it be useless, but you need to understand that there is no absolute security.
8. What did SlowMist gain? The global popularity that you have seen has also gone out of the circle, including the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, CCTV, and Phoenix Satellite TV. Many friends outside the circle know that we are famous. However, we are already well-known, this time it has deepened, and we deserve it. But do we get money? no:-)
9. Will slow fog go wrong? This is also nonsense, we are not gods.
10. Is it all over? Not yet, this is just the end of a phased war. Look far, this world needs to evolve.
Finally, I would like to thank the special forces for their support.
Disclaimer: Golden Finance is a blockchain information platform, and the content of articles published is for information reference only, not as actual investment advice. Please establish a correct investment philosophy and be sure to increase risk awareness.
Posted by:CoinYuppie，Reprinted with attribution to:https://coinyuppie.com/slow-fog-cosine-it-doesnt-matter-whether-the-polynetwork-hacker-is-located-or-not-its-just-the-end-of-the-phased-war/
Coinyuppie is an open information publishing platform, all information provided is not related to the views and positions of coinyuppie, and does not constitute any investment and financial advice. Users are expected to carefully screen and prevent risks.