ECN has compiled and translated the “DAO-New Frontier of Collaboration” research report, mainly collating the results of the quantitative research part and the research conclusion part. This part of the research gives a more specific and clear description of DAO’s practice and participant portraits, which will help readers have a deeper understanding of the new collaborative paradigm of DAO. For more detailed information, please read the original report.
- Why study DAO?
- Survey results
- Survey summary
Why study DAO?
1. Establish situational awareness so that we can find the light in the dark.
2. Help DAO members share background and build common understanding.
3. Help DAOs better collaborate on their long-term strategies
4. Explore new, interesting and rewarding boundaries!
Survey data statistics results
A total of 422 people participated in the survey, and they came from 223 DAOs in 290 cities around the world.
The following is the statistical result of the questionnaire, which is mainly divided into three parts: basic information, DAO’s remuneration and DAO’s cooperation.
Basic information part
1. What role do you play in DAO?
The three most common jobs are:
- Community Building
- Governance, operation
2. In which DAO do you work?
Among the 223 different DAOs surveyed, the most people participated are:
- Index Coo
3. What types of DAOs are in the survey?
The most popular DAO types are: NFT, social type, investment type, agreement type, service type, grant type, media type, collector type, and operating system type.
4. What is the scale of the DAO in the survey?
5. What are the sources of funding for DAO?
DAO’s funding sources are diversified. The top three main sources are:
- Token sale
6. What are the demographic characteristics of the respondents?
Most of the interviewees are males aged 20-40, and most of them entered the industry in 2017-2018 or later.
7. What are the geographic distribution characteristics of the respondents?
In many countries around the world, most of the respondents are from China, and among the 290 cities surveyed, Hong Kong has the highest proportion.
1. Is DAO’s remuneration your main source of income?
For nearly half of the respondents, DAO is not their main source of income. For respondents whose income depends on the DAO, they have multiple sources of income.
2. What is the monthly income level of DAO practitioners (in US dollars)?
Remuneration varies greatly among respondents.
Most respondents do not rely on DAO as their main source of income (n=189, total number of people=422), or their only source of income (n=104), because for most people with a monthly income of more than US$3,000, DAO gives What they bring is auxiliary income.
3. What are the sources of DAO’s distribution of remuneration?
The primary source of compensation is through the native mechanism of cryptocurrency:
- Community-based distribution (Coordinape)
- Project-based distribution
DAO represents a revolutionary way of determining remuneration. Many respondents (n=159) indicated that they used Coordinape’s community-based program to determine remuneration. We also see more familiar project-based compensation (n=158) and bounty methods, similar to freelancers and gig economy. A small number of interviewees (n=55) said that through tipping, this is a more organic form based on community rewards and recognition, which marks the emergence of DAO internal economics-this is in traditional work Another feature not found in.
4. What is the ratio of DAO tokens to stablecoins/ETH in your remuneration?
The remuneration structure of most respondents is mostly stablecoins/ETH, and a small part is DAO tokens. This situation will change as the DAO matures.
5. How much is your deposit?
Most of the respondents’ deposits are at least 12 months’ salary.
6. What assets are most of your deposits?
Most of the respondents’ assets are cryptocurrencies, which may be vulnerable to market downturns.
7. Have you started saving for retirement?
Although the survey respondents are relatively young, most of them save for retirement.
8. Where do you get health insurance?
In addition to salary, there are other factors that can explain their insistence on their full-time work (that is, 189 respondents do not use DAO as their main source of income).
Most people get health insurance outside the DAO through their current employer or family member plan.
9. Is income stability your top priority?
Although most interviewees attach great importance to income stability, many people recognize that DAO has a lot of room for development and are willing to delay the need for stability. This is consistent with the characteristics of the interviewee’s predominantly young population.
1. What tools does your DAO use to communicate?
The top three most commonly used communication tools are: discord, Twitter, and Telegram.
Although the industry often talks about web3, DAO’s communication is still biased towards web2 channels.
Discord has become the first choice for DAO communication tools, and it has brought notable challenges to Twitter, especially as this space continues to grow.
2. Is your DAO built on these tools?
Snapshot, Gnosis Safe, and Compound are the governance frameworks most adopted by DAOs.
3. What blockchain does your DAO use?
Ethereum is the most used blockchain, followed by BSC, Bitcoin , Solana and Polkadot.
4. What expansion plan does your DAO use?
The top three solutions that are most used for expansion are Polygon , xdai and ZkSync.
5. What is your favorite Dapp?
Uniswap is far ahead.
6. Which web3 tools are used to coordinate/allocate resources?
The top three most commonly used web3 tools are: poap, snapshot, and gitcoin.
Snapshot is the leading tool used by DAO to coordinate resources and is considered to be the cornerstone of building DAO. Interestingly, specialized tools like snapshot, poap, and Gnosis Safe are more adopted than all-in-one tools like DAOStack, Aragon, Moloch or Colony.
1. The era of DAO is here. DAO is a world trend and a rising part of the Ethereum ecosystem. DAO has begun to realize value exchange and participation in dense p2p networks.
2. The most popular answers in each category:
3. All cryptocurrencies are geographically diversified. The survey results show that practitioners possess diversified skills. Age and gender diversity are big issues. In the survey, most of the respondents were men between 20-40 years old.
4. The tiredness of DAO is real, but it only exists in a small number of high-level participants. Most of the respondents in the survey are in 1 to 2 DAOs, and the few are in 3-6 DAOs. They feel that they are being pulled in multiple places. This is a very real problem. Achieving meaningful participation cannot exceed 2 DAOs.
5. There are several key levels of abstraction in the DAO ecosystem:
- The ecology of L1
It is not yet known how/when the interoperability between each level of abstraction will develop
Collaboration within DAO
Resource coordination within DAO
Collaboration between ecosystems
Resource coordination among L1 ecosystems
Collaboration between DAOs
Resource coordination between DAO and DAO
6. In September 2021, there are a lot of DAOs in the ecosystem with billions of dollars in funding and hundreds of creators working on them.
7. Most survey participants believe that DAO is the future trend. On the contrary, a few interviewees were skeptical.
8. In the DAO world, there is still much room for invention/discovery. Compliance, collaboration, benefits, recruitment and retention of talent, and income volatility are all big unresolved issues.
9. Participants have a sense of accomplishment, meaning and purpose that cannot be found in traditional organizations. Ownership promotes empowerment. Being able to stand at the forefront of technology/culture is attractive to some people.
10. We are still in the early days. Emphasis is placed on governance, operations and community building. System and process construction has strong leverage.
11. DAO with more than 200 representatives is very easy to create. This is in stark contrast to companies that require company articles of incorporation, legal expertise, and approvals.
12. DAO is not a reliable source of income, although the stability of income is a major pain point for the creators of DAO.
Posted by:CoinYuppie，Reprinted with attribution to:https://coinyuppie.com/daos-research-report-a-new-frontier-of-collaboration/
Coinyuppie is an open information publishing platform, all information provided is not related to the views and positions of coinyuppie, and does not constitute any investment and financial advice. Users are expected to carefully screen and prevent risks.