Ether is going to be a supercomputer; DFINITY vision is positioned as an Internet computer. What are the similarities and differences between them? In this article, we will sort out and introduce them.
Commonality between the two: developer-friendly network
What makes Ethernet different from other public chains is that it has established a huge developer community and a friendly development environment, which attracts a large number of developers and makes the ecology of Ethernet flourish. It can be said that developers support the whole Ethernet.
DFINITY is also a network built for developers, and it hopes that more developers can develop with little code. For example, CanCan, a blockchain-based social product once launched by DFINITY, is built with less than 1,000 lines of code; Uniswap, which is very popular on Ether, disrupts a trading system with 500 lines of code, and the new distributed application based on blockchain, 500 lines of code can replace tens of thousands of lines of code.
The business breakthrough of blockchain does not start from the C-side, but from the developers. First of all, we have to serve these developers first, and the developers contribute their ideas before we can go from distributed application to distributed business and really go to the consumer and user end. From the current blockchain development, blockchain business breakthrough is very different from the business path of consumer Internet. Consumer Internet is a consumer-driven network operation, while blockchain is a developer-driven network operation.
Both DFINITY and EtherChain want to attract users by first attracting developers and creating convenient and efficient applications, and then using this to attract users’ participation.
The difference between the two
- In terms of application structure.
Ethernet Dapp is a three-layer architecture: smart contract on top, middleware in the middle, and front-end at the end. The front-end and middleware are the two parts that need to rent servers to do, and although there are now some decentralized infrastructures, it is actually difficult to interact with them.
Although now ETH 2.0 hype is very hot, has been a hot market, but in the final analysis it is also only to improve the efficiency of transactions to reduce costs, enhance its scalability, security, sustainability, simply improve the efficiency of smart contracts, no consideration of user experience feeling, application development out of the user less, that application can be said to be of minimal value, unable to achieve a positive cycle, unable to achieve the application explosion.
Compared to Filecoin is actually a step closer to solving the decentralized storage problem, strictly speaking static front-end pages can also be supported, and smart contracts do a good job of running logic.
But it is technically path-dependent problem, resulting in the implementation of the smart contract is incredibly difficult to calculate the workload so the need to split the data and output proof, and if each processing data to decompress, that the logic running delay will be very high, or even a few minutes, it is obviously impossible to use, so FIL can only store some dead data, large files, etc., or only one of the three layers.
DFINITY can run each of the above three layers of the architecture. The tokens and the smart contracts for manipulating the tokens run on DFINITY, similar to ETH here; at the same time, because DFINITY runs in the mode of software containers, each container has 4GB of running memory, the business database can also run on DFINITY; because of the support of global data centers and the optimization of the use of various network content distribution, the front-end pages can also run directly on DFINITY. On DFINITY; because the above three layers are integrated with DFINITY network, more middleware is not needed to run.
- In terms of infrastructure.
1）Ethiopia builds an ecology of value, DFINITY lets us see another possibility, from an ecology of value to an ecological network of application. In this process, while Ethernet does some simple protocols based on smart contracts, DFINITY can integrate some of the more complex resources or services of your application into the chain.
2) DFINITY has a unified ICP protocol layer, all applications are interoperable, not just like our traditional Internet inside a separate application, there is no interaction with other applications, DFINITY envisages the ICP protocol and the Internet computer system built on top of the ICP protocol to replace the traditional IT architecture.
In a simple way, ICP will package some traditional architectures into ready-made services, so that developers can save themselves the trouble of using ready-made wheels instead of having to painfully build them from scratch. Especially when it comes to load balancing, CDN/DNS and other basic services configuration in a distributed architecture, ICP provides a replacement for the underlying distributed computing platform, which is almost senseless for the user.
In DFINITY, the application is also a service provider, my application not only serves our own personal end, but also provides services for other applications. All of our APPs or applications are actually a network. It is not only like the previous database at the front and back of each APP, which can transfer data to each other. This will form an incomparably powerful, positive circular network effect.
- In terms of network type.
1) Ethernet network is an asset network, everyone is able to decentralize and issue their own assets on Ethernet. Of course whether your assets are valuable or not depends on two aspects: the first depends on utility value, and the second depends on consensus.
Ether vision is supercomputer, but it can be found that from 2017 Ether slowly changed its planning because its found the concept of supercomputer is too ambitious, so now it is positioned more like an asset issuance and settlement platform, its made so many things, but finally only the financialized things stay.
2) DFINITY is an application network that lowers the development threshold, developers can get started quickly and write code to create applications that fit their ideas without high cost. This is the core value of DFINITY network, and the most core value of DFINITY as an internet computer.
DFINITY is a blockchain-based Internet, which moves the traditional Internet applications to the blockchain base.
- In terms of scalability
In the blockchain ecosystem, there are two general ways of expansion: the first one is to make the blockchain itself have higher transaction capacity, and the second one is to change the way users interact with the blockchain.
1) The first is exactly what ETH 2.0 is doing: making blocks larger so that each block contains more transactions. The challenge with this scenario is that larger blocks are more difficult to verify and may exacerbate centralization. To avoid this risk, developers can improve the efficiency of blockchain client software, or use techniques such as sharding, which allows the work of validating transactions to be “split” and distributed to different nodes, but there is a cap even if Ether is scaled with 2.0.
2) In the case of DFINITY, the whole architecture is very well built because it has been considered from the beginning of the design. The amount of scaling is determined by the network neurology and is not limited by the slice. Moreover, the smart contracts on DFINITY can break through the limitations of traditional smart contract deployment and can deploy both front-end and back-end in one. This is very efficient, unlike Ether, which may require a server for the front-end.
Ethernet and DFINITY, the two blockchain networks, are not a replacement for each other, but a relationship of progressive and step-by-step. These two together, together with the Bitcoin network and some blockchain technology systems like Boca, really construct a complete blockchain network, a complete crypto economy, a complete digital parallel universe.
Posted by:CoinYuppie，Reprinted with attribution to:https://coinyuppie.com/confused-between-dfinity-and-ethereum-four-dimensions-to-help-you-understand-the-similarities-and-differences-between-the-two/
Coinyuppie is an open information publishing platform, all information provided is not related to the views and positions of coinyuppie, and does not constitute any investment and financial advice. Users are expected to carefully screen and prevent risks.