AXIE, rising against the trend, set off a new “ETH meta-universe model”
The term meta universe has not been popular in the circle recently. It was originally called “blockchain game”, but now the name has been changed: “Meta universe” , which immediately became a lot taller!
In fact, there are so many “meta universes”. Most games should be played by no one or no one. When did the chain game appear like Roblox (mechanical bricks) or World of Warcraft level “phenomenon” The game involves all the people inside and outside the circle, and then the three words “meta universe” are reluctantly correct.
Of course, from the current point of view, AXIE is undoubtedly the best one to do, whether it is daily activity, or the revenue that is against the sky, and the rich playability – although the playability is still in the eyes of old players There is a big gap between traditional games, but compared to those gambling games in 17-18, they are much better…The rest is the test of time. In other words, do you think that after half a year, AXIE will still have the current daily living and income level?
Of course, today’s article is not actually talking about this matter, nor is it the “game meta-universe” we often talk about at present, and the explosion of AXIE brings about a thinking about the “ETH meta-universe”.
01. The change of blockchain thinking
If there are old readers of the vernacular blockchain for 17-18 years, they will remember the criteria for judging a project by blockchain forums or groups at that time.
Among them, the most important thing is to go to the mainnet! (Has its own chain)
At that time, the main net meant that it had to have its own chain. (Take a test, you probably know that Link has its own mainnet, then do you know if Link has its own chain?)
At that time, if it was a blockchain project, always running on top of ETH, using the Token of the ERC20 protocol, without a chain, and not replacing it with its own “main chain Token”, it would be “ridiculed”.
In other words, when everyone’s impression or thinking is – ETH just a Token financing and distribution chain, finished Token, got the money, you have to develop a chain, has its own node, consensus, xxx …… Then after the mainnet is on, the ERC20 Token 1:1 on ETH is replaced with the project’s mainnet Token. (EOS is the best example at the time)
Therefore, a large number of projects that used the blockchain as a hammer to find nails emerged at that time, such as taxi chains, advertising chains, e-commerce chains, government affairs chains… If it weren’t for takeaways that weren’t as popular as they are now, I think someone will definitely be there. Get a “takeaway chain”.
Everyone knows later that these things have disappeared. In an era where one chain was used, it was completely falsified in just one year. At the same time, EOS, a public chain whose original intention was “enterprise blockchain”, Completely reduced to a flood of gambling games.
Later, Defi appeared, and everyone finally knew what ETH does. MakerDao, Compound, AAVE, Uniswap and other star projects have sprung up like mushrooms, all of which are ERC20. This time no one is entangled with “mainnet and own chain”. “Where is it? Based on ETH, ERC20, which has composability and innovation, has become a favorite of the market.
Later, the performance of ETH was too poor and the value overflowed. BSC, Heco, Fantom, Solana, Matic, Near, Dot, Cosmos… came to the current “multi-chain universe” era.
Until AXIE suddenly showed us a new gameplay, a “meta universe” gameplay based on ETH.
That’s right, there is no rhythm to play with other “multi-chain universes” at all.
02, the legendary Ronin side chain
With the increasing number of AXIE players and the increasing popularity of the game, the performance of ETH obviously cannot keep up with the demand.
The mainstream choice at the time was to move the game to a Layer 2 or side chain, such as the choice of many projects – Matic.
However, AXIE made a bold decision to develop a Ronin sidechain based on ETH.
Then, and then this is what you see today, players, market value, price, income soaring…
Why did the team make such a choice and didn’t follow the trend to go to BSC or Matic?
There are several reasons:
1. Faster speed: Ronin uses POA, which is equivalent to an enhanced version of POS, and is faster than side chains such as Matic BSC. TPS is essential for large-scale collaborative games;
2. Exclusive customization: Once a certain side chain or Layer 2 is selected, such as Matic, when some projects on the chain have serious problems, the Matic team may suspend the use of all side chain project related functions, which is equivalent to putting life and death to others Hands. And in the follow-up development process, the layout and functions may need to be adjusted at any time. If it is built on other side chains or Layer 2, when encountering custom requirements that need to be resolved quickly, it often depends on the timely cooperation of the side chain or the Layer 2 team. , Flexibility is also restricted by others, greatly reduced;
3. Lower the threshold: If you run on Matic, users still need to buy Matic as Gas, but Ronin doesn’t need it at all. In addition, the custom wallet solution of its own chain can also bring a simpler entry process to new users. Using a universal wallet will force users to learn to use wallets to configure non-mainnets. No small trouble
4. The POA validators of the Ronin blockchain are all trusted partners approved by AXIE, such as game giants Ubisoft, Animoca, Nonfunigble.com, and Binance, DappRader, etc. that have been added later.
Huh? Could it be that we have returned to the era of one project and one chain in 2017-18? !
of course not!
03. Not every Appchain (application chain) can be made into Ronin
First of all, we must know that Ronin is still quite different from those independent “hailing chains” and “e-commerce chains” back then.
The biggest difference is that Ronin is still an ETH-based sidechain in essence. That is to say, although Ronin has its own consensus mechanism and nodes, Ronin is more responsible for business processes and high-performance processing, assets in the game. The attributes are still attached to the main chain of ETH.
Furthermore, if you want to build a side chain similar to Ronin, there are actually the following implicit requirements:
1. Team technical strength: As we all know, the technical reserve required to make a chain is much larger than issuing a Token. You have to consider a series of parameters and settings such as consensus mechanism, block generation speed, node server configuration, Token model and so on. Of course, with Polkadot’s Substrate and Cosmos SDK, one-click issuance has become relatively easy. However, if you want to do an ETH side chain, there is still no “dumb” option such as one-click issuance. .
2. Strong partners: every side chain, even the earliest main chain such as BTC or ETH, is fragile at the beginning, and it is reliable and reliable in the process of gradually growing and slowly moving towards decentralization. Strength nodes are the most essential. For Ronin nodes, look at this lineup: game giants Ubisoft, Animoca, Nonfunigble.com, Binance, DappRader…
3. The most important thing is that you have to have real users + income! Otherwise, who will pay for the cost of the node running the server?
This problem used to be the biggest stumbling block in front of all new projects in the circle. I remember that from 17-18, when everyone looked at a project, everything was good. The biggest problem was who would use it? The basic daily activities are supported by gambling games. Later, with Defi, the situation improved a lot. Many well-known Defi projects have hundreds of thousands of daily activities, and Uniswap, a leader like Uniswap, has tens of thousands of daily activities.
AXIE’s current daily life is hundreds of thousands, and its single-day cost at its peak is more than the glory of the king. However, due to the side chain design of Zero Gas, the main income of the node is the fee charged when the asset is transferred between ETH and Ronin, and another possibility is the additional issuance of the POA node of AXS Token. (Unconfirmed, readers who know can leave a comment)
In short, if there are no users, no income, and wanting to run a chain by yourself, it is tantamount to idiotic dreams. Nodes can never use love to generate electricity for a long time.
04. The future ETH meta-universe?
If you are an ambitious project and plan to make an application, a game like AXIE, or a non-defi project that does not require high composability, what options do you have?
1. Issuing Token directly on ETH L1-the most worry-free way, but before the emergence of ETH2.0, it is estimated that your operating costs will shut out a large number of users;
2. Choose a sidechain or L2 to issue Tokens-it may be the first choice for many projects in the future, Matic, Optimism, Arbitrum, Zk-Sync, etc.;
3. Use a Skale-like flexible side chain project to make a side chain-it has more autonomy than 1,2 and is more flexible. However, compared with the almost cost-free method of 1,2, you need to pay for the Skale flexible node Rental fees, which requires you to have a minimum number of users and income in order to do so;
4. Independently develop an ETH side chain-such as Ronin, which has the highest autonomy and maximum flexibility, at the cost of the most expensive development and operation and maintenance costs. It is suitable for AXIE, a leading project with a large amount of daily activity and income. ；
5. Similar to 4, but using Cosmos SDK or Polkadot Substrate, the cost is lower than 4, but the access is not ETH, but Cosmos or Polkadot. The advantage is that it is born with its own cross-chain, and it can naturally interoperate with other Cosmos chains or Polkadot chains.
Some readers may ask, if you use scheme 4 similar to Ronin, is it possible to achieve cross-chain interoperability with other ETH sidechains?
First of all, Appchains like AXIE are more focused on their own business and require relatively low interaction with other projects. Even if there is, it is completely possible to achieve composability at the ETH L1 level. Even if you have to interact with other side chains or L2 projects at the business level, I believe that whether it is to develop your own cross-chain bridge or access some state channel projects at the head, such as Celer and Connext, you can definitely achieve the “well-known side”. “Inter-chain” cross-chain.
With the continuous development and popularization of blockchain, there will be more and more application projects such as AXIE that require “high performance and high project autonomy”. We may see more Appchain connections. Enter ETH, or Cosmos, Polkadot, etc. In the next 2 years, a similar scene like the picture below is likely to enter our circle. Are you ready?
Picture from the Internet
Posted by:CoinYuppie，Reprinted with attribution to:https://coinyuppie.com/axie-rising-against-the-trend-set-off-a-new-eth-meta-universe-model/
Coinyuppie is an open information publishing platform, all information provided is not related to the views and positions of coinyuppie, and does not constitute any investment and financial advice. Users are expected to carefully screen and prevent risks.